Monday, October 9, 2017

Positive Hospital Marketing Campaigns Have A Painful Downside : Shots - Health News : NPR

In today's health world, marketing has become a major influence. It must be since corporations always analyze their ROI based upon the uptick in their business.

Regulatory agencies seem to ignore blatant ethical violations and false advertising billboards, and 'branding' of their slogans. A large very successful health system whose brand is "THRIVE" will be instantly recognized without seeing it's name.



Physicians would be sanctioned by medical boards for this tactic, although some larger medical groups slip through the watching eyes of regulatory agencies.

Is the problem with the hospitals or regulatory agencies such as the JCAH Joint Commission for Accreditation of Hospitals.

Hospitals aren't held to standards at all. So a hospital can go out and say, 'This is where miracles happen. And here's Joe. Joe was about to die. And now Joe is going to live forever.'

"So a hospital can go out and say, 'This is where miracles happen. And here's Joe. Joe was about to die. And now Joe is going to live forever.' "
Lori Wallace is not going to live forever. Before cancer, she says, she would have been attracted to the messages of hope. But now, she says, she needs realism — acceptance of both the world's beauty and its harshness. She wrote an essay about that for the women in her breast cancer support group.
The essay is titled "F*** Silver Linings and Pink Ribbons." Wallace reads me the whole piece from start to finish. We are sitting at her kitchen table. Her son is nearby with his pet snake.
Toward the middle of the essay, Wallace writes, "My ovaries are gone, and without them my skin is aging at hyperspeed. I have hot flashes and cold flashes. My bones ache. My libido is shot and my vagina is a desert." The essay is open, funny and unflinching, just like Wallace.
She reads me the final paragraph: "I will try to be thankful for every laugh, hug and kiss, and other things, too. That is, if my chemo-brain allows me to remember."
"That's what I wrote," Wallace says. "That's what I wrote. Brutal honesty."


Positive Hospital Marketing Campaigns Have A Painful Downside : Shots - Health News : NPR

No comments: