- If you need glasses, you aren't assigned a generic pair. You get a prescription customized for you.
- If you have an allergy, you get tested to determine exactly what you're allergic to.
- FACT SHEET: President Obama's Precision Medicine Initiative
- Precision Medicine is Already Working to Cure Americans: These are Their Stories
Genomics has been added to the specificity testing of disease and therapy. Oncology (cancer treatment has become specific to cancer antigens and the development of targeted immune therapy.
- The drug ivacaftor treats the underlying cause -- not the symptoms -- of a particular genetic variation of cystic fibrosis.
- A variety of cancer patients are now routinely undergoing molecular testing as part of their care -- and their doctors are choosing treatments based on this information.
- Physicians at the University of Michigan 3D-printed a personalized tracheal splint that saved the life of a critically ill infant with a weak trachea.