Thursday, July 21, 2011

Why Would Anyone Want to become a Physician?

Good question, given the current atmosphere of doom and gloom amongst my colleagues and peers.

Well first of all like most folks when one has worked at the same job for 10-20-30-and even 40 years the human spirit does need replenishment. Many pubic servants (and that is what we are), police, fire department personnel, correction officers have some things very much in common. Stress ! Stress related disability is actually a compensated employment related disability category.

Medicine is stressful….but not so much about the art and science of  medical practice.  Some things are life threatening, but for most MDs the day is routine. Perhaps in some specialties such as cardiology, surgery, ophthalmology where the outcomes are critical to life and function stress levels may be chronically higher.  However the education and training process tends to self-select those built for that type of environment. And some people thrive on stress.

Stress and anxiety increase in situations over which any person has little if any choice in the outcome. And that is precisely what is eroding physician satisfaction with their chosen career.

Daniell Ofri MD writes in the New York Times in Tara Parker-Popes syndicated health column about “Why would Anyone want to become a Doctor?”

I don’t know Dr. Ofri or even what kind of medicine he practices. The basic truths are there. (in my opinion).

There are many avenues to reduce the stresses, spiritual, time outs, and frequent breaks, shorter work weeks, eliminating specific stress related non clinical tasks, second careers. These avenues are available to private practice physicians. Even a horizontal move to perhaps a group practice.

Becoming a physician not only creates a vast knowledge base in health care, but also many other skills that are transportable to other occupations. Even without an MBA doctors who have run their own business have considerable skills in business management (yes there are a few of us out there).  Like me some turn to writing, some are gifted in the arts, music, theater, performance art, philosophy and others.

I remember a mentor (an Uncle) who practiced medicine until he was over 80 years old.  He told me (interesting approach given today’s pre-med students)..not to work in a hospital prior to med school, take a wide variety of courses in humanities, liberal arts and save the sciences for medical school, except for the essential pre-requisites. Knowing the basic soul of a man was a key ingredient in leading one back to health.

And when my day is done and I give myself the  inevitable “career talk,” I tell myself that there is nothing else I’d rather do in my life than medicine. If I had it to do all over again, I’d end up right here. — telling them that there’s nothing else I’d rather have done.  After all my role is not yet complete.

Life has it’s seasons, mine is now being a physician and a patient advocate, and bring  us together in the pursuit of safer medical care, keeping corporatization of medicine at bay, resisting the significant and insidious cancer of government and insurance directed medical care and reflecting whatever wisdom I have obtained on to the next generation of doctors.  I am happy they have come along to take care of my patients.

Wisdom is not the memorization and regurgitating facts. It is the ability to step back, observe mistakes, change behavior patterns, and pass that along to willing listeners in medicine, politics and social planners. To do less when one has the time and willingness and remaining passions would be shameful.

(for me)

gml

5 comments:

rental mobil said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.

apple said...

Hello Dr. Levin,

My name is Apple Lopez and I work for Freelance MD.

We are always on the hunt for doctors who have passion about a particular subject to write on our site. I have read your posts and I believe our members would find your thoughts of interest:-)

We are hoping that you would like to write a guest post on our site. Freelance MD is the leading site for physicians interested in
improving their income and lifestyle and has tens of thousands of physician visitors each month.

Here's a link that explains everything about guest posting including readers, backlinks and requirements:http://freelancemd.com/guestpost.

Warmly,

Apple

Unknown said...

More and more physicians are growing tired and too much exhausted of their jobs that's why most of them just chose to try threading the other career path or do non-clinical jobs.

BLASTULA said...

I start med school in three, well two and a half weeks. I have heard that I shouldn't do it because Obama Care will ruin medicine and that the debt will be too much to ever break even. But, I waited ten years before going into med school, and no other career has suited me as I predict medicine will.

Gary M. Levin said...

Blastula, I agree with you, when all is said and done one must look in the mirror and I agree it will suit you...